ASK Dance Co.
In 1994, the ASK DANCE Co. was established by the Dance Program of the National Arts Academy, Ministry of
Culture, Arts and Tourism. The company was created with the intention to further promote local performances and to encourage the creative development of its lecturers and students. It was in this fertile soil of cross-cultural
exchange that the founding members Suhaimi Magi, Aida Redza, Lena Ang and Joseph Gonzales worked, striving to break contemporary boundaries, redefine forms and norms to build the base of a unified dance culture in Malaysia. The
company has built its reputation on the strong use of traditional elements, spirit and vocabulary as the starting point of its creative discovery. The ASK Dance Co. has a good reputation in Malaysia and its performances have
been very well received thus far. Its stature internationally has progressed gradually and the company has performed:
- Menggapai Kekal choreographed by Aida Redza
- Berasik by Suhaimi Magi at the 3rd Indonesia Arts Festival 1994
- Serkam by Suhaimi Magi at the KIDE ‘95 Festival in Seoul, South Korea
- AKAR by Suhaimi Magi, Aida Redza and Joseph Gonzales at the Dance on 97 Festival, Hong Kong
- Umbivolusi by Aida Redza and the company at TARI 98 in Kuala Lumpur for the Gala Performance.
- AWAS by Joseph Gonzales performed at the Experimental Theatre in March 1999.
- Hear and You Will See by Joseph Gonzales at the Philharmonic Auditorium in May 1999
- Festival Vitorio-Gasteiz, Spain in July 1999.
- ‘PUTERA’ by Joseph Gonzales at The Experimental Theatre in March 2000.
- Company member Junainah M Lojong participated at The young Choreographers Workshop in Taiwan and has been invited
to restage her work XYxx at the What Art Theatre, Taipeh.
The company has participated in numerous local productions like WHEN THEY DANCE, BREAKING BOUNDARIES, AN EXTRA
TURN, CROSS FIRE, EAST WEST DANCE KALEIDOSCOPE, DARIWUNYAM and MENDANCESCAPES.